For the 2017 Screen City Biennial we chose the harbour in Stavanger as the main site for production and presentation of the art. Water being an important symbol of movement, this environment connects the artworks to the city’s history of migration. The MS Sandnes boat, the Maritime Museum, placed containers and the path along the harbour operate as our frame, and the artworks as contents. Stavanger is located in a coastal landscape, bordering the sea to the west and Boknafjorden in the northeast. The natural harbour made the city strategically important to the county of the east as well as to the shipping route along the western coast and the fertile Ryfylke Islands in the north. The regular delivery routes between Stavanger and foreign ports have formed a strong link between local and international ports. The city harbour is called Vågen. Vågen was the starting point for The America Line’s legendary Stavangerfjord, which strengthened the contact between Rogaland and the “Norwegian America”. Along the harbour one can find interactive works by artists Saara Ekström and Tuomas Aleksander Laitinen
The MS Sandnes boat served as a night ferry along the historical Night Route between Sandnes/Stavanger and Bergen between 1950 and 1974 – a ship route established at a time when the only connection to and from the county went by sea. Now mostly located in Vågen, the Stavanger harbour, the pride of the ship still shows in the ship’s decorations with mirrors and panels, lighting fixtures, decor, paintings, art and general decorations including the 1st class ladies cabin and the gentleman's smoking lounge. The largest veteran ship in Norway, MS Sandnes has been declared worthy of preservation by the Norwegian Directorate for Cultural Heritage. The ship marks the anchor point for the Biennial and operates as its main venue and starting point for exploring the art. Here you will meet the team, have a coffee and catch the screening of artworks by xxxxxxx, collect a map of all installations and start the augmented reality walks by Tuomas Aleksander Laitinen and the video walk by Saara Ekström. This is where the Biennial’s Talks & Panels will take place and where to find the Biennial’s opening party.
THE CONCERT HALL
Sandvigå 1, 4007 Stavanger
The building stands on a site formerly used as an industrial dock and a ferry terminal. The main façade of the Concert Hall is oriented toward the sea, like the old warehouses in the area, allowing for magnificent views of the harbour, islands and the mountain range in the east. The main stage will present live audio visual performances by Michelle- Marie Letelier and Kalma, andMarjolijn Dijkman & Toril Johannessen, in close collaboration with the Norwegian composer Nils Henrik Asheim. The silk-screened façade of the building will also serve as a projection screen for these artworks.
ODEON / CINEMA
Sølvberggata 2, 4006 Stavanger
The local cinema facing the Arnagaren Square is part of the Culture House: the heart of the city-centre. The cinema presents over 300 films and cinematic experiences each year. SF Kino will host the screening program of the Biennial on the topic of the post-anthropocene, including artist Q&As. The cinema program will be partly curated by the invited guest curators. Program will be announced in June 2019. .
STAVANGER ART MUSEUM
Henrik Ibsens gate 55, 4021 Stavanger
The roots of Stavanger Art Museum, or Stavanger Kunstmuseum, extend back to the art society, Stavanger Kunstforening housing the Stavanger Faste Gallery since 1865. Since the beginning, the society’s main aim has been to: “…awaken a love of art and over time build an art collection which belongs to the society”. The museum’s collection contains over 2,600 works including Norway’s largest Lars Hertervig-collection and a steadily increasing number of paintings by Kitty Kielland – which was recently engaged in a three-part virtual reality project. It is located in the park Mosvannsparken. In collaboration with the Screen City Biennial, the Stavanger Art Museum will host an audio-visual performance and sound installation by Band of Weeds.
NORWEGIAN PETROLEUM MUSEUM
Kjeringholmen 1a, 4006 Stavanger
In the 1970s, the idea to construct a museum around the Oil industry was driven by key individuals in the local petroleum community along with the city council. The Norwegian Petroleum Museum Foundation was established in 1981 and succeeded, after many years of work, in fully financing the construction of the museum by 1996. This funding was shared between the central government, the county council, the local authority and oil industry sponsors. Construction work began in the summer of 1997, and the official opening was performed by HM King Harald on 20, May 1999. Architects Lunde & Løvseth won a national competition to design the building, which represents a symbolic interpretation of Norwegian bedrock, the open coastal landscape facing the sea, and offshore installations. Covering 5,000 square metres, the museum stands in the heart of Stavanger and incorporates exhibition space, a cinema, a restaurant, a library, meeting rooms, workshops and offices. Its running costs are met by a combination of self-income, government grants and sponsor contributions. The museum will host works by artists Andrew Norman Wilson and Tove Kommedal.
RØDNE FJORD CRUISE
Skagenkaien 35-37, 4006 Stavanger
Rødne is one of Norway’s largest high-speed ferry companies with 17 boats. Rødne offers transportation, sightseeing and adventure trips on express boats. The company was founded in 1956 to provide school transport between and from the islands of the Sjernarøy group. Currently, the company has about 120 employees, including some 25 who are part of the land organization in the Sjernarøy island of Kyrkjøy, as well as in the ports of Stavanger and Bergen. Rødne is based in the Sjernarøy group, which is part of the Finnøy municipality. Over the years, the company expanded and now operates ambulance boats, scheduled traffic, charter and tourism activities from Stavanger and Bergen.
Rødne Fjord Cruise will host Tidal Pulse - Part II - a site-responsive sound piece and visual voyage by artist Enrique Ramirez, while traveling through the Fjords..
Stavanger Cathedral (Stavanger domkirke) is Norway's oldest cathedral and the seat of the Bishop of Stavanger who leads the Diocese of Stavanger. It is located in the city of Stavanger in Rogaland county, Norway.
The church is situated in the centre of the city, in the borough of Storhaug between Breiavatnet in the south, the square with Vågen in the northwest, the cathedral square in the north, and Kongsgård in the southwest. The church is part of the "Stavanger domkirke" parish in the Stavanger arch-deanery in the Diocese of Stavanger. Bishop Reinald, who may have come from Winchester, is said to have started construction of the cathedral around 1100. It was finished around 1150: the city of Stavanger counts 1125 as its year of foundation. Stavanger was ravaged by fire in 1272, and the cathedral suffered heavy damage. It was rebuilt under Bishop Arne (1276–1303) at which time the Romanesque cathedral was enlarged in the Gothic style. The cathedral will host a new video sculpture by Emilija Škarnulytė.
FISKEPIREN, FERRY TERMINAL Fiskepiren, Stavanger
The fishing pier is a quay area located on Versgata street in Stavanger. The fishing pier was formerly called New Fish market, a name that was used until the 1880s. In the 1890s, the municipality of Stavanger bought the former shipyard area of Peder Valentin Rosenkilde and established quays and a small boat harbor here. The yard was established in 1840, and by 187514 ships had been built. The yard had two large sea houses. Previously, Fiskepiren was a square for all kinds of fishing trade. In 1889, a municipal slaughterhouse was built at Fiskepiren, which was in use until 1900. Then a new slaughterhouse was built at Kjeringholmen. The old building was demolished in 1913 when the new fishing pier was to be built.
In 1913, a larger pier was built which became the receiving point for raw materials for the canning industry. From here, the catch was transported to the small canning factories inland. During the fishing season, there was sizzling activity when the boats came with their hulls full of sprat. During World War II, the fishing pier was used as a seaplane port by the Germans. The area was blocked and strictly guarded. The harbor was in use until 1971, when the outer pier was built. Then a new ferry terminal for ferries running the Tau and Finnøy to Nedstrand was established. The terminal received three modern ferry terminals, parking spaces for cars and waiting rooms for passengers.
In 2000, passenger ferry traffic to Bergen, Haugesund and Ryfylke was combined with the ferry traffic to Tau and Lysefjorden. The pier was further developed for the new speedboat terminal, also called the Fish Pier terminal. The terminal will host The Bone - a VR experience inside the installation of a wild salmon’s skull by artist Michelle-Marie Letelier.